How Can Your Diet Affect PCOS?
Updated: Jan 10, 2019
EmpressBody are frequently asked by goddesses, “Should I diet to help with PCOS?”, and EmpressBody’s answer is that you should always try and have a healthy, balanced lifestyle, but we do not believe in faddy diets. One of the symptoms of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome can be weight gain and a difficulty shedding weight due to an imbalance in hormones. Many women find this distressing, especially if exercise does not seem to be helping, but EmpressBody has done some research into the so-called PCOS diet and come up with a few tips and pointers of what foods to try and avoid and which to work into your regular meal patterns – we know it’s ‘New Year New You’ time, but try and take things slow and incoporate small changes into your life over a longer period of time, studies have shown that this is the best way to form a lasting habit and achieve real change!
First things first, what are the symptoms of PCOS?
Every woman is unique and therefore not all women with PCOS will have all of the symptoms of PCOS. Each symptom can also vary from mild to severe, but the common symptoms are:
- Irregular periods or no periods at all
- Difficulty getting pregnant (because of irregular ovulation or failure to ovulate)
- Excessive hair growth (hirsutism), usually on the face, chest and back
- Weight gain due to hormone imbalances
- Thinning hair or hair loss from the head
- Oily skin or acne
How does diet affect PCOS sufferers?
Women with PCOS are often found to have higher than normal insulin levels. Insulin is a hormone that’s produced in your pancreas. It helps the cells in your body turn sugar (glucose) into energy. If you don’t produce enough insulin, your blood sugar levels can rise. This can also happen if you’re insulin resistant, meaning you aren’t able to use the insulin you do produce effectively. If you’re insulin resistant, your body may try to pump out high levels of insulin in an effort to keep your blood sugar levels normal. Too-high levels of insulin can cause your ovaries to produce more androgens, such as testosterone.
Insulin resistance may also be caused by having a body mass index above the normal range. Insulin resistance can make it harder to lose weight, which is why women with PCOS often experience this issue – a real catch 22 situation!
A diet high in refined carbohydrates, such as starchy and sugary foods, can make insulin resistance, and therefore weight loss, more difficult to control.
EmpressBody’s recommended foods to add to your diet:
1. High-fiber vegetables, such as broccoli. High-fiber foods can help combat insulin resistance by slowing down digestion and reducing the impact of sugar on the blood. This may be beneficial to women with PCOS. Great options for high-fiber foods include:
· cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts
· greens, including red leaf lettuce and arugula
· green and red peppers
· beans, pulses and lentils
· Sweet potatoes, winter squash and pumpkin (all colourful root veggies really!)
2. Lean protein, such as fish. Lean protein sources like tofu, chicken, and fish don’t provide fiber but are very filling and a healthy dietary option for women with PCOS.
3. Anti-inflammatory foods and spices, such as turmeric and tomatoes
Foods that help reduce inflammation may also be beneficial. They include:
· Fruits and vegetables high in vitamins like: tomatoes, kale and spinach
· almonds and walnuts
· olive oil
· fruits, such as blueberries and strawberries
· fatty fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and sardines
EmpressBody’s recommended foods to avoid for women with PCOS:
1. Foods high in refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and muffins. Refined carbohydrates cause inflammation, exacerbate insulin resistance, and should be avoided or limited significantly. These include highly-processed foods, such as:
· white bread
· muffins, cakes, puddings, sugary desserts
· white potatoes
· anything made with white flour
· Pasta noodles that list semolina, durum flour, or durum wheat flour as their first ingredient are high in carbohydrates and low in fiber. These should be removed from your diet.
· Pastas made from bean or lentil flour instead of wheat flour are an excellent alternative.
2. Sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar is a carbohydrate and should be avoided wherever possible. When reading food labels, be sure to look for sugar’s various names. These include:
· high-fructose corn syrup
Sugar can also lurk in the things you drink, such as soda and juice.
3. Inflammatory foods, such as processed and red meats. It’s a good idea to reduce or remove inflammation-causing foods, such as fries, margarine, and red or processed meats from your diet as well.
How else can EmpressBody help manage the symptoms of PCOS?
EmpressBody has done extensive research to find natural and holistic ways to help tackle the symptoms of PCOS. Often doctors prescribe chemical birth controls like the pill to help with the symptoms such as irregular periods. Not all women want to go down that route and many are looking for holistic alternatives. All of our products can be used in conjunction with any contraception so they will not disrupt the pill the IUD etc. We have put together a PCOS Fighter Bundle that contains all of the ingredients and EmpressBody products that work together to help combat the symptoms of PCOS:
The EmpressBody PCOS Fighter Bundle Includes: 12 Detox Pearls 2x Yoni Steam 200ml Moringa Powder
12 Detox Pearls
EmpressBody Detox Pearls help to breakdown cysts and any toxin buildup through the pulling effect created by the specially selected herbs. They draw the toxins out, they also assist with regulating the menstrual cycle and ridding bad bacteria, dead cells, old blood clots, mucus and more from your yoni. Detox Pearls can help to break down cystic growths, which is the main cause of PCOS.
Click here to order your EmpressBody Yoni Pearls
Click here to read more about what to expect from using an EmpressBody Yoni Pearl
200ml Moringa Powder
The EmpressBody Moringa Powder assists with hormone imbalances and suppresses cravings for sugary or fatty foods allowing a better diet and weight loss. Weight gain can be one of the hardest issues of dealing with PCOS as it can be very hard to shift as it is not necessarily caused by diet. But Moringa can help rebalance your hormones. One of the best Moringa benefits is its super immune-boosting powers, anti-inflammatory compounds improve digestion, strengthen bones, prevent blood clots, improve cardiovascular health, are beneficial for skin and haircare, mild detoxification, fulfill iron deficiencies, and increases immunity.
Click here to order your EmpressBody Moringa Powder
2x Yoni Steam (24 Sachets)
EmpressBody Yoni Steaming (or vaginal steaming) helps to create a healthy environment in the womb along with increasing blood flow around the perineum allowing cysts to be tamed. Yoni Steaming also assists in regulating menstrual cycles, clears dark menstrual blood from the beginning or ending of the cycle, helps ease vaginal dryness, endometriosis, yeast Infections and other vaginal bacteria. It is an ancient practice that has so many benefits to yoni health!
Click here to order your EmpressBody Yoni Steam
Click here to read more about the benefits of Steaming with EmpressBody
Click here to view the full range of EmpressBody yoni wellness products
Click here to view the full range of EmpressBody body wellness products